Plain Language 2.0 and Health Literacy
Offered in English and Spanish
Feb 27 $275 USD
Register at Educlaro.moodlecloud.com
Romina Marazzato Sparano is now teaching this course in English as well as in Spanish on Educlaro.moodlecloud.com. She is also creating new plain language courses on her sister site to Plain Language Academy. If you have any questions, simply email email@example.com. Thank you for joining us.
In this course, we will explore the intersection between health literacy and plain language to promote successful health communication. Health literacy is defined as the ability to find, understand, and process information to make healthcare decisions. Plain language has a vital role to play in fostering access, understanding, and usability of health information.
Plain Language Project Leadership
Register. April 16. $275 CAD
Plain Language Project Leadership encompasses the whole plain language process, focusing on a project client document. This course lets you to practice leading a complete a project with guidance, feedback, and support. You will develop a project plan, content, and a report.
- opportunity to put together all your knowledge and skills on one project
- enhance your experience in audience awareness and document testing
- create a working template for future plain language projects.
- Complete a planning document
- Proposal to client
- Quiz yourself on your leadership skills
- Taking care of yourself while leading others
- Create a definition of plain language that you are comfortable using.
- Create a template for your Project Work Plan and Style Sheet
- Audience Analysis with identification
- Create a reader persona
- Mid-Project Report
- Demonstrate three clear design techniques
- Create a project stylesheet with before and after examples
- Modify the PLA Plain Language Checklist for your own use
- Develop a testing plan
- Discussion forum on user-ease and dealing with feedback
- Write a memo to client as your proposal and report
- Finalize your project plan, report to client, and sample revision
- Instructor: Kate Harrison Whiteside
Science Supports Plain Language
Open registration. Choose the date that works for you. $275 CADInstructor: Cheryl Stephens, cherylstephens.com
Research shows the less work audiences need to put into reading, the more they will find sources credible, and the better they will connect with the messages. You will learn the most up-to-date techniques, drawn from neuroscience, linguistics, and cognitive psychology. We'll explore how to make the reader's work easier and fluent.
You will be introduced to best practices in:
- the three-stage reading process of the brain
- improving recall to ensure learning and retention
- content frameworks that help readers
- making connections for continuity and comprehension
- roles of priming and recency
- inferences and predictions as essential brain processes
- How do we read? Neuroscience tells us about the internal process.
- The process of comprehending
- Inference and Prediction
- How readability is measured by reader experience
- Making information memorable
- Writeability guidelines to make content easier?
- What is cognitive fluency? How should it shape our content?
- Science supports plain language guidelines
You can proceed at your own pace. You schedule a 1 hour Zoom session with the course facilitator. We expect you to take 4 to 6 weeks to complete.
- Instructor: Cheryl Stephens